THINK YOU KNOW THE SOUTH CAROLINA STATE BUDGET?
1) Including state, federal, and “other” funds, the budget totals approximately
a. $6.6 Billion
b. $8.6 Billion
c. $17.3 Billion
d. $23.6 Billion
2) Approximately what % of appropriations in the budget are federally funded?
3) Compared to last year’s budget, the FY 2012-13 Budget
a. decreased approximately $1.2 billion
b. essentially stayed the same
c. increased approximately $500 million
d. increased approximately $1.3 billion
4) How much is appropriated in film subsidies (a.k.a. tax breaks for Hollywood producers)?
a. $10 million
b. $5 million
c. $1 million
d. Of course none, that would be absurd.
5) About $440,000 was spent on 4 new
a. Statues of Strom Thurmond
b. Security officers for the lieutenant governor
c. Copies of the SC Constitution
6) How much money did the House tack on for itself at the very end of the budget process?
b. They actually cut $500,000 from their original budget
c. $2.5 million
d. All of the money
7) Of the approximately $30 million South Carolina received from the National Mortgage Settlement Fund, how much was actually spent directly to support those affected by the housing crisis?
a. All $30 million
b. $15 million
c. $2 million
8) Approximately what % of the budget did Governor Nikki Haley veto?
9) (T/F) State lawmakers can and do serve on regional “economic development” boards that are appropriated $5 million in this year’s budget.
10) (T/F) As the South Carolina state code mandates, the Senate Finance and House Ways and Means Committees held public hearings after the governor proposed her budget.
Answers: 1) d. 2) c. 3) d. 4) a. 5) b. 6) c. 7) d. 8) b. 9) t. 10) f.