Budget Watch 2011: Lawmakers still funding waste
Examples of provisos proposed in the 2011 House budget include . . .
- For the sixth year in a row, $500,000 to study the feasibility of a new road (I-74).
- A blank check for the Commerce Department to use in incentive deals.
- More than $3 million for taxpayer-funded tourism marketing campaigns.
- Two provisos offering hefty tax rebates to Hollywood filmmakers.
- A ban on staff reductions at the State House Gift Shop and the Santee Welcome Center.
- State agencies charging “rent” for buildings the state already owns. For example, the State Museum is directed to pay $1.8 million in rent to the Budget and Control Board.
- $500,000 to preserve historical artifacts.
Copyright © 2011 South Carolina Policy Council
This material should not be construed as an attempt to aid or hinder the passage of any specific legislation.